Women who present in the second trimester are at higher risk of morbidity and mortality, especially in places where abortion is restricted and unsafe abortion is prevalent. Caring for women who need second trimester services, whether for safe abortion or after unsafe abortion, is an opportunity to save women’s lives.
Earlier this week, on Wednesday, May 9, the PAC Consortium hosted a webinar with partners from Ipas and Gynuity to explore second trimester PAC. The webinar, “The continuum of abortion care: Serving women in the second trimester,” discussed the epidemiology of second trimester abortion, reviewed clinical vignettes, presented evidence-based guidelines for second trimester safe abortion and postabortion care, and talked about introducing second trimester services in health systems using Ethiopia as an example.
Additional resources related to second trimester PAC are listed below.
Second trimester PAC resources
- Clinical Updates in Reproductive Health (Ipas)
- Second Trimester Abortion Toolkit (Ipas)
- Second-trimester postabortion care for ruptured membranes, fetal demise, and incomplete abortion (systematic review in IJGO)
- Safe abortion: Technical and policy guidance for health systems (WHO)
- Mifepristone plus misoprostol or misoprostol-alone for treatment of intrauterine fetal death 12-24 weeks’ LMP (Gynuity Health Projects)
- Mifepristone plus misoprostol or misoprostol-alone for abortion induction in pregnancies 12 – 24 weeks’ LMP (Gynuity Health Projects)
- Buccal misoprostol for IUFD Research Group. Buccal misoprostol for treatment of fetal death at 14-28 weeks of pregnancy: a double-blind randomized controlled trial (Gynuity Health Projects)
- Mifepristone and Misoprostol Compared With Misoprostol Alone for Second-trimester Abortion: A Randomized Controlled Trial (Gynuity Health Projects)
- A double-blind randomized controlled trial of mifepristone or placebo before buccal misoprostol for abortion at 14-21 weeks of pregnancy (article published in IJGO)